Guide Dogs of America (GDA) has created a program for children of all ages to help us raise the funds needed to provide guide dogs free of charge to blind men and women across the United States and Canada. Our school is a non-profit organization that relies solely on donations from companies, private parties, and schools and organizations.
Participants in our Pennies for Puppies Program will be provided with materials to help you to educate the youth in your school, class, or organization about the enormous job that a guide dog has and the role it plays in a blind person’s life. The money raised will turn pennies into dollars, which in turn will make puppies into partners. There are many easy, fun and creative ways to help. For example:
- Recycling drives
- Bake sales
- Car washes
- Saving coins over a certain time period
These projects can be carried out as a class or school project…or by an individual or small group as a community service project. Fundraising projects can be big or small – every contribution makes a difference.
Here are materials that will tell you more about GDA and its program.
- Click to view and print Program Overview
- Click to view and print Frequently Asked Questions
- Click to view and print “What To Do When You Meet a Blind Person or Guide Dog Team.”
- Click to view and print Giving Opportunities (for those who would like to set a goal)
- Click to view “A Walk in the Park” video that can be shown to your class
If you are interested in having your class, school, or organization become a member of our Pennies for Puppies Program, please contact Lorri Bernson at (818) 833-6431 or email at: LMBernson@guidedogsofamerica.org.
To collect the change, many school children like to create their own collection canisters. If you decide to participate we will send you our logo.